In October 2007, Lt. Michael Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his extraordinary heroism during Operation Red Wings. His selfless leadership, courageous actions, and unwavering devotion to duty made him the first member of the Navy to receive this prestigious award since the Vietnam War.
Posthumous Recognition for Heroism
Lieutenant Murphy demonstrated extraordinary heroism by risking his life in an attempt to establish communication with headquarters at Bagram Air Base while suffering grave gunshot wounds. Despite being mortally wounded, he completed his call and provided crucial information that ultimately led to numerous enemy casualties.
First Navy Recipient Since Vietnam War
The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government and is presented by the President in recognition of acts of valor performed above and beyond the call of duty. Lieutenant Murphy’s valiant efforts reflect great credit upon himself and uphold a long-standing tradition within Naval Special Warfare.
A Lasting Legacy Honoring Lt. Michael Murphy’s Sacrifice
- Film: The story behind Operation Red Wings was adapted into a bestselling book titled “Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account…” written by Marcus Luttrell – which later became a major motion picture starring Mark Wahlberg as Luttrell.
- Navy Destroyer: The USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112), an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, was commissioned in 2012 to honor his memory.
The Medal of Honor bestowed upon Michael Murphy is a testament to his bravery and valor, an inspiration for those who serve the nation in its time of need. His sacrifice will never be forgotten, with many commemorations honoring him throughout the years including films depicting his heroic acts and locations named in his honor.
Navy SEAL Michael Murphy’s selfless leadership and heroism during Operation Red Wings earned him the Medal of Honor, making him the first Navy recipient since Vietnam. #NeverForget #HonorAndSacrificeClick to Tweet
Commemorating Lt. Michael Murphy’s Sacrifice
The heroism and self-sacrifice demonstrated by Lieutenant Michael Murphy have been commemorated through various mediums, ensuring that his legacy lives on eternally. These tributes include films like Lone Survivor and Murph: The Protector, as well as places named in his honor such as a Navy destroyer (USS Michael Murphy), combat training pool, and Sea Cadet unit, among others.
Films Depicting Heroic Acts
Lone Survivor, based on the bestselling book by Marcus Luttrell, recounts the harrowing events of Operation Red Wings and pays tribute to the bravery of Lieutenant Murphy and his team. Similarly, Murph: The Protector is a documentary film that delves into the life of this extraordinary hero who valiantly led his team during one of America’s most challenging military operations.
Locations Named in Honor
- The USS Michael Murphy (DDG-112) – A U.S. Navy destroyer commissioned in 2012 honors Lieutenant Murphy’s service to our country.
- A combat training pool at Naval Special Warfare Center – This facility was dedicated to Lieutenant Murphy for his contributions to his country.
- Navy League Cadet Corps (NLCC) Training Ship Michael P. Murphy Division – Located in Ronkonkoma, New York, this Sea Cadet unit was named in honor of Lieutenant Murphy to inspire future generations.
Through these various tributes and memorials, the courage and dedication of Lieutenant Michael Murphy continue to be remembered and celebrated by those who serve in the military special forces as well as civilians who appreciate his ultimate sacrifice for our nation’s freedom.